Maybe the name Wanda Nylon doesn’t immediately ring a bell, but you may have seen their coats more often than you think, as they are very ‘editorial’. Wanda Nylon is a newcomer at Paris Fashion Week this season. Time to get to know the brand that started out with transparent raincoats.
1. Wanda Nylon is a Paris-based womenswear and menswear brand founded by the French/Polish Johanna Senyk and German Peter Hornstein. Senyk got the idea of creating a collection of fashionable raincoats during a scooter trip through Paris in gloomy weather, thinking about the images of the iconic transparent raincoat in Helmut Newton’s photographs in the sixties.
2. Before founding Wanda Nylon, Johanna Senyk worked with Alexander McQueen at Givenchy and as a casting director for JW Anderson and The Row (the Olsen sisters’ label). Peter Hornstein is a German fashion designer that uses synthetic materials and hand-moulded PVC pieces in his collections. They met during a design competition at a fashion festival and they immediately clicked. It turned out they were both fascinated by the touch, smell and sound of synthetic materials. Seynik’s opted her idea to Hornstein and her idea and his use of materials came together.
3. Each of them came up with a part of the name Wanda Nylon. Hornstein with a technical fibre he loves, Senyk with a legendary feminine Polish name.
4. The brand started out with them wanting to create the perfect transparent trenchcoat, made out of water-resistant materials such as PVC, nylon and polyester. They gave the modernized traditional silhouette of a trenchcoat thick seams, creating the illusion that the jacket was drawn with a thick marker.
5. It wasn’t their intention to start a whole line of clothing, but the coats became a huge success and since 2014 they release two collections a year, consisting of an outerwear range, sweaters, pants, shorts, skirts, dresses and accessories. Their clothes are being described as ‘futuristic’, ‘androgynous’ and ‘sporty’ and are also worn by celebrities as Rihanna, M.I.A. en Snoop Dogg.
6. Their first Paris Fashion Week show – showing the spring/summer 2016 collection – took place in the 200 year old Élysée Montmartre, a theatre that is under construction at the moment due to a fire in 2011 (guests attending the show were given special Wanda Nylon construction helmets). Highlights were this sporty white dress, this comfortable looking maxi dress, the ‘double sweater look‘ – a sweater worn as a top and as a bottom, the black synthetic bathing suit and, of course, the transparent coat and pants.
Sources: Dailymetal.eu, Nowfashion.com and Cheekmagazine.fr
2 love it